Università degli Studi di Napoli Federico II
The University of Naples Federico II (Italian: Università degli Studi di Napoli Federico II) was founded in 1224 and is organized into 13 departments.
It is the world's oldest state university and one of the oldest academic institutions in continuous operation. The university is named after its founder Frederick II of Hohenstaufen, King of Sicily and Holy Roman Emper.
The current president of Italy, Giorgio Napolitano, is a notable alumni.
In the twentieth century the university grew steadily. The University of Naples survived the years of World War II.
Though often bombarded, it did not undergo severe damage; however, after the armistice of 8th september 1943 and the guerilla warfare put up by the insurgent Neapolitans, retreating German troops set some university buildings on fire.
Following this disastrous period, other university facilities were taken over for some time by the occupying Anglo-American forces.
The Fifties and Sixties saw an expansion of the university and entire schools were moved into newly developing areas such as Fuorigrotta, on the North-Western periphery of the city, where the School of Engineering was located in a dedicated new building, and on the hill of Camaldoli where the Medical School occupies a very large area.
Since the year 2000 a new, very large compound, named the Monte Sant’Angelo Complex, located in the area of Fuorigrotta, has hosted the Schools of Mathematics, Physics and Natural Sciences, Biotechnological Sciences and Economics.
Although new universities have been established in Southern Italy and in the Campania region, student enrollment in Naples increased steadily in the Seventies and the early Eighties to over 100,000 making the University of Naples one of the largest in the country.
Nowadays the university is made up of thirteen schools, eightytwo departments, an academic staff of more than 3,000 individuals and an administrative staff of more than 4,500. Current student enrollment is still about 100,000.