vrijdag 20 februari 2009
In Flanders almost every practitioner reads De Juristenkrant. We are therefore proud to have appeared for the first time in this journal.
vrijdag 13 februari 2009
dinsdag 10 februari 2009
As soon as we get hold of the article, we will publish it here.
Also LegalWorld, a new website of Kluwer editors, published an editorial on the ELMC-Antwerp team. Click here to read it (in Dutch).
This friday we have an appointment with a former référendaire of a judge at the European Court of Justice. She will tell us everything there is to know about the procedure of the Court.
zondag 8 februari 2009
A. The City:
Bangor is a small city in the county of Gwynedd (North Wales). although it does not have an abundance of attractions, it is a picturesque place offering views over the Menai Strait (especially attractive at sun-set), and also serves as a convenient base for visiting the nearby Snowdonia National Park. One of the University's key selling-points is indeed its location between Snowdonia and the island of Anglesey.
With a population of only around 14,000 (students included: 24,000) , Bangor is one of the UK's smallest cities. However, as a bustling university town, the city is not lacking in cafes and restaurants and enjoys a vibrant night life.
B. The University:
Until 1 September 2007 the University was part of the federal University of Wales, and was officially known for most of its history as the University College of North Wales ("UCNW", Coleg Prifysgol Gogledd Cymru in Welsh). It later became "University College, Bangor" ("UCB", Coleg y Brifysgol, Bangor). From 1995 until 31 August 2007 the University was known as "University of Wales, Bangor" ("UWB") and Prifysgol Cymru, Bangor ("PCB").
The change of name to Bangor University or Prifysgol Bangor was instigated by the University following the decision of the University of Wales to change from a federal university to a confederal, non-membership organisation, and the granting of degree awarding powers to Bangor University itself. The University has, however, decided not to take advantage of these powers and will continue to award degrees in the name of the University of Wales for the time being
The University was founded as the "University College of North Wales" on 18 October 1884 with an inaugural address by the Earl of Powis in Penrhyn Hall, there was then a procession to the college with 3,000 quarryman (quarrymen from Penrhyn Quarry and other quarries had subscribed over £1200 to the university).
The University was originally based in an old coaching inn called the Penrhyn Arms Hotel (which housed its 58 students and 12 teaching staff), but in 1911 it moved to a much larger new building which is now the old part of the Main Arts Building.
Its students received degrees from the University of London until 1893 when UWB became a founding constituent institution of the federal University of Wales.
In 2007, the University became an autonymous institution, albeit with degrees still being validated by the University of Wales.
B.2 School of Law
The School of Law at Bangor University is Wales’ newest law school. Established in 2004 in response to the high demand for Law provision in north Wales, the School receives great support from the region's legal profession, which has many advantages for students following law at Bangor.
The School is modern, small and friendly. The staff consists of a team of experienced, enthusiastic multilingual staff who have taught in the UK and Europe and this experience is reflected in the teaching programme at Bangor. The aim is to provide a range of up to date undergraduate degrees that match demand among prospective students. The School of Law also offers a range of postgraduate degrees.
The content of the undergraduate curriculum and the department’s research interests reflect the commitment to the international dimension of law and legal practice in the modern world.
The Law School has a strong bilingual policy with tutorials in all of the foundation subjects required for a qualifying law degree being available in either English or Welsh at the individual student’s choice.
Linklaters LLP is a UK-based global law firm, which advises some of the world’s leading organisations on transactions and operations. Linklaters has 26 offices in 19 countries, and is one of the five members of the so-called "Magic Circle" of prominent UK law firms. Over the past decade, Linklaters has undergone a major transformation from an English law firm to a leading global firm. Today, Linklaters has around 540 partners and 2,400 qualified lawyers, more than 60% of whom are based outside the UK.
Linklaters was founded in 1838 as Dods & Linklater. In 1920, the firm merged with Paine, Blyth & Huxtable, creating Linklaters & Paines.
Ten years ago, Linklaters was predominantly an English law firm with small domestic operations in a number of overseas jurisdictions (Brussels, Frankfurt, Hong Kong, Moscow, New York City, Paris, Singapore, and Tokyo). In 1996, the firm pursued a strategy of global expansion to meet the increasing demand for premium, multi-jurisdictional legal advice. Since then, it has built a formidable global practice through organic growth and a series of mergers and joint ventures.
In 1998, Linklaters & Alliance was formed with four other European law firms: De Bandt, van Hecke, Lagae & Loesch; De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek; Lagerlöf & Leman, and Oppenhoff & Rädler.
Over the next five years Linklaters merged with three of these firms in Belgium, Germany, Luxembourg, and Sweden, as well as merging with firms in the Czech Republic and Poland and opening offices in Amsterdam, Bangkok, Beijing, Budapest, Bucharest, Bratislava, Lisbon, Madrid, Milan, Rome, São Paulo, and Shanghai.
During this period, Linklaters formed a joint venture with the premier Singapore practice, Allen & Gledhill, to create Linklaters Allen & Gledhill, and a co-operation with Brazilian firm Lefosse Advogados.
On April 1, 2005, when new laws came into effect in Japan, permitting multi-national partnerships, Linklaters created Japan’s first fully-merged law firm practising Japanese, English, and US law, meaning that Linklaters found itself among the few global firms in Japan who can provide international and domestic advice from a single source.
Linklaters opened its newest office in Dubai in February 2006, building on its thirty-year track-record of advising clients in the Middle East, in response to clients’ increased focus on the Middle East and a growing demand for premium legal advice from clients operating in the region.
vrijdag 6 februari 2009
The word "moot" originates from a scandinavian word meaning simply a meeting.
The meetings concerned were assemblies of the members of a community for legislative or judicial purposes.
The European Law Moot Court is developing rapidly into an organisation of similar scale and reputation.
zondag 1 februari 2009
Università degli Studi di Napoli Federico II
The University of Naples Federico II (Italian: Università degli Studi di Napoli Federico II) was founded in 1224 and is organized into 13 departments.
It is the world's oldest state university and one of the oldest academic institutions in continuous operation. The university is named after its founder Frederick II of Hohenstaufen, King of Sicily and Holy Roman Emper.
The current president of Italy, Giorgio Napolitano, is a notable alumni.
In the twentieth century the university grew steadily. The University of Naples survived the years of World War II.
Though often bombarded, it did not undergo severe damage; however, after the armistice of 8th september 1943 and the guerilla warfare put up by the insurgent Neapolitans, retreating German troops set some university buildings on fire.
Following this disastrous period, other university facilities were taken over for some time by the occupying Anglo-American forces.
The Fifties and Sixties saw an expansion of the university and entire schools were moved into newly developing areas such as Fuorigrotta, on the North-Western periphery of the city, where the School of Engineering was located in a dedicated new building, and on the hill of Camaldoli where the Medical School occupies a very large area.
Since the year 2000 a new, very large compound, named the Monte Sant’Angelo Complex, located in the area of Fuorigrotta, has hosted the Schools of Mathematics, Physics and Natural Sciences, Biotechnological Sciences and Economics.
Although new universities have been established in Southern Italy and in the Campania region, student enrollment in Naples increased steadily in the Seventies and the early Eighties to over 100,000 making the University of Naples one of the largest in the country.
Nowadays the university is made up of thirteen schools, eightytwo departments, an academic staff of more than 3,000 individuals and an administrative staff of more than 4,500. Current student enrollment is still about 100,000.
Boston University School of Law (BU Law) is the law school affiliated with Boston University.
It was founded in 1872 by a group of educators, lawyers, law teachers and jurists united by two beliefs: first, that a superior legal education requires instruction in the theory, analysis and practice of law; and second, that educational opportunities should be available to anyone, with merit as the only test.
Located in the heart of Boston University's campus on Commonwealth Avenue in Boston, Massachusetts, BU Law is housed in the tallest law school building in the United States and the tallest academic building on campus.
It is a member of the Association of American Law Schools and a charter member of the American Bar Association.
BU Law students come from 46 states, 14 countries and more than 238 colleges and universities around the world.
Since 1964 BU Law occupies the bottom half of the current building, 765 Commonwealth Avenue on the Charles River Campus, colloquially known as the "Law Tower." BU Law shared the Law Tower with the School of Education for some years but now occupies the entire building overlooking the Charles River.
Boston University School of Law offers a broad selection of legal classes and seminars (approximately 150) with a student to faculty ratio of 12:1.
BU Law offers joint degrees with the Boston University Graduate School of Management (JD/MBA), the Boston University College of Communication (J.D./M.S.), the Boston University School of Public Health (J.D./M.P.H.), and the Boston University Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (J.D./M.A.)
In addition to J.D. and joint degree programs, Boston University School of Law offers LL.M. programs in American Law, Banking and Financial Law, Intellectual Property, and Taxation, as well as several J.D./LL.M. program. BU Law is ranked #21 among American law schools by the 2009 U.S. News & World Report usnews.com.
BU Law is also ranked #10 for Best Career Prospects and #1 for quality of professors by the Princeton Review Best Law School Rankings.
The Faculty of Law was founded in 1892 as the third faculty of the Higher School after the Faculty of History and Philology and the Faculty of Physics and Mathematics. It was with the founding of the Faculty of Law that the Higher School acquired university status.
As early as the first decade after the founding of the Faculty a number of well-known lawyers joined its staff – Stefan Kirov, Petar Abrashev, Michail Popoviliev, Josif Fadenheht, Stephan Bobchev, Georgi Danailov, Todor Kulev, Simeon Angelov. These lecturers defined the academic essence of the faculty with their high teaching and scholarly standards in major areas of legal studies.
On 21 October 1902 the Academic Council of the Higher School passed a resolution to establish eleven departments at the Faculty: Roman Law, History of Bulgarian and Slavic Law, State and Administrative Law, Political Economy, Finance, Public and Private International Law, Philosophy and Encyclopedia of Law, Civil Law and Civil Law of Procedure, Trade Law, Criminal Law and Criminal Law of Procedure, and Statistics.
For the first fifty years of its existence the Faculty of Law established itself as a centre of vigorous academic life. It extended and renovated its teaching staff. A clear proof of this fact was the next generation of lecturers at the Faculty, most of whom were its graduates who had specialized at eminent European universities.
During the first decade after the Second World War, the Faculty of Law underwent a serious crisis. Contrary to all norms and academic criteria, a number of people with considerable authority in the academic community, as well as some younger talented lecturers were forced to leave the Faculty of Law. Academic autonomy was destroyed. Law education and legal studies were ideologized. Centralized approval of students and their political selection was introduced.
A process of normalization of academic life at the Faculty commenced in the 1960s. International scholarly contacts were restored.
After the democratic changes in 1989 the independence of the Faculty of Law was restored and the principles of academic autonomy were reinstalled. Existing international relations were extended and developed. With the introduction of the new curriculum education at the faculty came to meet to a greater extent the requirements stemming from the changes in Bulgarian legislation and the process of legal integration.
In the 90s of the twentieth century a number of new faculties of law were established in the country. A number of them were modeled after the Faculty of Law of Sofia University. Moreover, it has been a source of teaching experience, transferred through staff members teaching at such universities as visiting professors, and through the recruitment of their teaching staff among young lawyers, graduates from the Faculty of Law at Sofia University.
During the academic year 2006/2007 the Faculty of Law had a total number of 3,093 Bulgarian and 211 foreign students.